Following today’s decision by the New Zealand Government to extend the current Level 4 restrictions across the nation, the Sal’s NBL will be postponing week four of the 2021 season, which was slated for Thursday September 2 to Sunday September 5.
In making the announcement, League General Manager Justin Nelson reiterated the competition was fully committed to doing everything possible to complete the 2021 season in full.
“Following today’s update from the government the Sal’s NBL will not be able to return for what would have been week four of the season and, while this is unfortunate, the NBL community remains totally committed and focused on doing our bit to help ensure we follow the rules.
“We have already commenced talks with all six teams and have also arranged a meeting with the players association tomorrow, where we are modelling a return to play once we are clear to do so. We remain committed to playing the full season, but only if it is in a safe environment for everyone involved, particularly the players.
“While we hope a return to play may be available during September, we are also looking at an opportunity to re-commence the 2021 season in late October and through November. Any return will only be possible if our teams are able to travel safely and within the regulations set out by the government.”
The League will provide further updates following further decisions by the government later this week, and early next week.